Olympics 2008
Did you watch the recent 2008 Olympics? It was one that I followed more closely than all the rest. Not an avid fan, just anxious and excited over the results of the few sports that I had watched.
I've never really liked or enjoyed watching sports - tennis, soccer, track and field, etc. But this time round, I sat on the edge of chair as I watched the Singapore women team challenged and fought ferociously with the Korean women team in table tennis. I was staring hard at the loopholes that the China men team had in their defence in basketball. Not to mention the anxiety I felt over how a 0.2 or 0.5 mark in the 3m / 10m dive can determine if the diver could return home as the holder of a Gold, Silver or Bronze medal.... or none at all.
Each athlete had spent thousands of hours over these last 4 years (after the last Olympics) just to qualify in competing with international sportsmen (& sportswomen) in their specific field. All for that one moment of performance, which can determine if there's chance of qualifying for the finals before fighting to bring home a medal, thus bringing glory to the nation and home.
I must say that I salute each athlete, whether a medalist or not, for his/her hard work, time and sacrifices made to represent the nation at this Olympics. Not forgetting those who had worked hard backstage, making it possible for everyone, anyone around the globe to be able to sit in the comfort of home, enjoying each event, put up by these dedicated and talented sportspeople.
Well done!


No comments:
Post a Comment